This primarily 2-D course will develop your sense of design, as you have fun manipulating various common and rarified materials in new and experimental ways to create original works. The Art History of Mixed Media, elements of design, abstract imagery and composition will also be explored. We will meet in the printmaking studio, where we may incorporate linocut, monoprint, collagraph, Xerox transfer, dry point, stencil and/or trace monotype.
Ages: 16 + | Instructor: Kathleen Shanahan
Wednesdays, 4 – 7 p.m. | Jan. 10 – Mar. 14, 2018. (10 weeks)
Nonmember Price: $210 | Member Price: $189
Additional Class Details:
- – Through demos and discussions, we will cover the topics of mixed media in art history, design and construction strategies, elements of design, abstractions/imagery and composition. We will use acrylic mediums for layering, adhesion, and as thickening/coloring agents.
- – Our substrata may range from mat board or heavy paper to stretched canvas or plywood.
- – REMIX for the most part is a 2D course with possible excursions into the 3D realm.
- – Any collected scraps of decorative papers, fabrics, old artworks to re-purpose. They can be in a range of thicknesses.
- – Any glues or adhesives (the Center will provide some)
- – Other tools and materials for attaching, assembling, and adhering such as: staplers, grommets, rivets, needle and thread, etc.
- – On the first day students should bring a selection of materials from the supply list above (paper, fabric, etc.) as well as Elmer’s glue and 2 pieces of mat board or card board.